[bookport] Re: Any hardware revision planned?

  • From: peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:03:43 -0600

Jacques,

Like you, I also wanted to wait a bit for new hardware, but decided to go
ahead and get a Book Port so I can use and enjoy it right now. I don't
regret the decision at all, since I've enjoyed the Book Port tremendously
since I got it a month ago.

While many associate new hardware with improved performance, this is not
always the case. For example, I bought a HP 12c financial calculator in
1985, and since then hundreds of "newer" financial calculators have been on
the market. Nonetheless, the HP 12c is still considered by many to still be
the best financial calculator on the market - people who bought "hardware"
upgrades actually ended up with lower quality hardware than original HP 12c
purchasers. And the original Palm computer ran for about 3 weeks on
batteries, the current batch of Palms are lucky if they have 9 hours of
battery life: each new generation of Palm saw a decrease in battery life.

That was one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and get a Book Port now,
rather than wait. There is no guarantee that newer hardware will be any
better - in fact, based on my experience with other electronics products,
there is a good chance a Book Port II may not be as good as the current
unit, especially concerning things like battery life (which is absolutely
superb) and software support (which is likewise superb). Another factor
which motivated me was that I could become more involved with the Book Port
community, which I enjoy, plus I hoped that with my purchase I could do my
part to encourage Larry and Rob and the other software engineers to continue
their work developing for the Book Port, constantly adding new capabilities
and features to the unit, which is a source of tremendous satisfaction to
me.

The current Book Port works like a dream and I hope to use it for many, many
years to come, and there are probably others on the list who feel the same
way. Why lose a year by waiting for something that may or may not occur?

Peter