[bookport] Re: Any hardware revision planned?

  • From: "Angie Matney" <matneyar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 05:47:02 -0400

Thanks to all at APH for such a great product. When I bought the Bookport, I
wasn't sure how much I'd use it, so I wasn't sure if I could justify the
expense.
But I now use it more than I use just about any other piece of assistive
technology.

As far as improvements, I think a volume wheel might be nice. Or, barring that,
it would be nice if the bookport volume worked the way the volume on the old
Roadrunner machines did. I have one of the Talking Bible machines, and the
speech is not interrupted when you turn the volume up or down. I think that's a
nice touch.

I also think I would prefer to see the second and third braille rows switched
around, if that's possible. I think it would make it easier to enter braille
text, and it
seems that the bottom row is a good place for arrows, etc. But others may
disagree.

Speaking of braille mode, the ability to write in computer braille would, IMO,
make this machine the most versatile thing on the market. Maybe writing in
grade
2 could be achieved one day, but even writing in computer braille would expand
the functionality exponentially. I think I'd rather see this than the ability
speed up audio files (though this would certainly be helpful).

Either way, what I like best about the Bookport is the stability of the current
features it does have. I know I've sometimes gotten an update for a notetaker
because of some promising new feature only to find that the new bell or whistle
only works half the time. So I don't mind waiting for new upgrades for the
sake of stability.

Angie