[bookcourier] Re: Sapping batteries - a helpful warning

  • From: "Caroline Ford" <caroline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:13:05 +0100

I also was a bit wary of using rechargeables in the BC, mainly due to not
being able to tell how much power they had left in them.  If you're using
rechargeables in the BC, do you receive the battery low warning message,
giving you a chance to change the batteries before the BC stops working
altogether?  If there isn't any warning that the batteries are flat, you
wouldn't have chance to issue the change batteries command, and could
therefore end up with a problem, as others have discussed.  This is why I
tend to stick to non-rechargeables for the BC, although I use them
extensively in other equipment.

I have noticed that, if you're playing an MP3 file and the BC announces that
the batteries are low, you can often switch to reading text files and
continue to do so for quite some time before the battery low message is
repeated.  This must be because the BC uses more power to play MP3's than it
does when reading text files.

I usually do change the batteries as soon as the battery low warning is
issued though, and often switch the supposedly dead batteries to a portable
radio where they can often provide a couple of weeks of life before they
eventually die completely.

Caroline.