[blazie-support] Re: sick M40, or at least a dead battery...

  • From: Geetha Shamanna <s_geetha@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blazie-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:59:44 +0500

Hi Laura,

It is very likely that your machine's battery has run out altogether. It
happened to me once, and I had to do a warm reset to restore the settings.

The following snippet from the manual might be of some help.

Geetha

CRASH AND RECOVERY QUESTIONS

1.   All of my files have become gibberish, and when I go into the Files
menu, the titles are incorrect.

This rarely happens to our newer revisions, but this sounds like a
crash.  In other words, there may be something wrong with your unit, but
it may be fixable.

Try a "warm" reset.  If that does not work, you must do a "cold" reset,
the i-chord.

You do a "warm" reset to return all Braille Lite settings to their
default values (except for the battery timer) without losing data.  When
you press a for-sign-chord (dots 1-2-3-4-5-6-chord), the Braille Lite
says, "Warm reset, please verify".  When you press a second
for-sign-chord, it says "Okay".

CAUTION: Do not use a warm reset within another command or while data
are being transmitted.

You can also do a warm reset when you turn on the Braille Lite.  To
issue the command, turn off the Braille Lite.  Then hold down all seven
Braille Lite keys as you turn on the power.  Once power is on, continue
to hold down the keys for about a second.

Use the "cold" reset procedure only as a last resort.  All settings are
reset to their defaults and all files you may have created, as well as
their data, might be lost.

For about 2 seconds, press an i-chord as you turn on the power to the
Braille Lite.  You hear, "System initialized; Braille Lite ready; Help
is open; delete all data in file areas, enter y or n?"  If you answer,
"Yes", it says, "Are you sure?" to really force you to think.  If you
still answer, "Yes", you hear beeps while the Braille Lite "cleans up"
things.  Your data is irrevocably lost.  This process insures that no
one can recover your personal data - a good idea when exchanging your
Braille Lite for an upgrade or a repaired machine.

2.   My Braille Lite turned on and is dead - no warning.

A warm reset usually fixes this problem.  But since the Braille Lite has
no "battery low" message, it might mean that you've completely drained
the built-in, rechargeable battery.  Use the Braille Lite's A.C. adapter
to plug it into an outlet and allow it to recharge.

As long as you leave it plugged into an outlet, you should be able to
use it without any problems.  Once it's fully charged (in about two
hours), you should be able to resume using it on battery power.