[bksvol-discuss] Re: volunteers who are not contributing

  • From: Lynn Zelvin <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:17:11 -0400

I would like to second the suggestion about letting people upload the work they've already done on a book they are validating. I have run into this problem so many times its ridiculous. I like to spend time improving copy that is less than "excellent" and have always put considerable time into books I downloaded to validate and I have often gotten stuck when my life changed unexpectedly and if I could have just uploaded it as is to be re-validated I could have felt like I had contributed something and the end result would be better copy. Theoretically I could have done the basic go-over of a book first so I could just do an "as is" validation job if I am not able to finish, but it's just not the way I work. If I'm going to check to see if all the pages are there, I'm going to be more thorough along the way and check that the pages are in decent shape rather than having to go through a second time. I've spent half a lifetime trying to break my perfectionist obsession and with no success, and I'm guessing there are others out there in the same situation.

Lynn