[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofreading questions

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:34:04 -0400

Let me add something. It has been a long time since I have seen actual print and back when I did see it regularly I did not look at foreign languages that much. However, I do know that different languages have different diacritical marks. I am thinking that there is a diacritical mark in Portuguese that looks like an apostrophe that appears directly over a letter. I may have gotten the language wrong, but I do know that Portuguese does have one that is similar, but not identical, to an apostrophe that appears under some letters. What I am getting at is that before you find and replace all of those superscripted apostrophes you should be sure that there are not some of them that belong there. Do any of them appear in foreign words? If they do then what language do the words come from? It just might be that you will want to preserve some of them. To do that you should wait to finish the entire book and then do the find and replace and if there are any such instances that you want to preserve then you should figure out how to replace the ones you want to replace without replacing the ones that should stand.

On 7/28/2012 1:41 PM, John Simpson wrote:
Thanks all for the many helpful suggestions. Here are the strategies that I
have adopted.

For the apostrophe issue, I am doing a 'find and replace' putting the letter
with the superscript apostrophe and it's following letter in the 'find' and
then the letter followed by an apostrophe followed by the final letter in the
'replace' and then doing a global replace. I figure I will have to do that at
most 26 times (smile).

The page break difference between book.google.com and BookShare can certainly
be explained by different editions of the same book, so I am going with the
BookShare .rtf. So this is essentially a non-issue.

I am solving the missing m-dash problem by doing a find on two spaces and then
replacing it with a -- where the context indicates that was what was in the
original. Having looked at the books.google.com version, it is clear to me that
the author made liberal use of dashes in her writing style. Unfortunately,
there are a number of double spaces that clearly do not need to be replaced
with dashes, so this is a one-at-a-time process.

I have also appreciated previous discussions on ellipses, which the author also
uses with some frequency.

It appears that this book is going to take some time to get corrected. It's a
good thing I'm enjoying the book itself.

Once again, thanks ever so much for all the help and suggestions. You are truly
an awesome group.