[bksvol-discuss] oh dear, I am more confused

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:31:46 -0400

So, let me see if I understand. Prefaces and introductions are not core
content. Tabs disappear. What happens if I type "space, space, space,
space, space" instead of hitting tab. Does that make any difference to a
screen reader? To a Braille file?

Also, I thought that a hard return was how I separate paragraphs, unless
the scanned book comes to me with an extra blank line between
paragraphs, which I leave alone.

I think what would help me, as a sighted volunteer, would be to type a
sort of sampler of different techniques, not copyrighted material, but a
text with tabs, spaces, extra lines, no extra lines, etc etc., submit
the sampler for approval, and then get it back from Bookshare to see
what it looks like, what is lost (unlike G. Cindy, I do want to know
what is left and what is removed) and what is retained.

Would that be possible? I find myself more confused today. I thought I
had things sort of figured out.

Thanks,

Devorah (in Orlando for a week, having escaped yesterday's eight inches
of snow in Minneapolis)