[bksvol-discuss] Re: do others like this description?

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 07:36:21 -0800

Monica, What a nice comment!

Cat Lover Lori

----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:47 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: do others like this description?

Hi, Elizabeth. Pavi is probably the best person to tell you how the interns
work. I don't know much about how the day to day things are done. I just
know that Allison is an intern because Lisa Friendly introduced her that way
last year, and Allison and I have talked several times. I don't know how
interns are selected or anything like that. It may depend on the nature of
the job being performed when Benetech decides to hire a person who
telecommutes. My focus has been more on the end result and how books are
processed. I haven't really thought about who is doing what very often. I
usually get the help I need with an issue if I write to a staff member, and
that works pretty well for me. I've found that things are running more
smoothly since they brought Rob Turner on board to do some of the customer
support and since Pavi became our volunteer coordinator.

One thing I can tell you is that Pavi spends a fair amount of time helping
us volunteers learn how to work together when one of us is struggling. She
does that behind the scenes, and she's very good at it. She has an unique
talent for helping people with inflamed tempers and bruised egos to calm
down long enough to see things clearly. I don't know how she does it, but
she manages to get both people to smile and try again. She also knows how to
get a new volunteer who is discouraged to give things just one more try. I
don't know if that's in her job description. It's what makes me believe that
Jim and Lisa chose well with bringing Pavi to Bookshare.

Monica Willyard

-----Original Message-----] On Behalf Of E.
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:49 PM

Monica does this mean that anyone who does anything other than
validate or scan has to work out of the bookshare office or do
interns telecommute?

E.