[bksvol-discuss] blind people working

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:37:58 -0500

Remember that few blind folks worked in the seventies. I got my first Apple 2E talking computer in 1982. Before that it was tape recorders, typewriters and braille writers. And the tape recorders were just beginning toswitch to casettes from seven inch open reel recorders when I started college. I loved it because I could take this small casette recorder to class, record notes and later braille up the notes. (braillewriters are too noisy to use as notetakers in classroom settings.)

When I went for job interviews there were no rules about what folks could ask. I got asked if I could go to the toilet by myself, go to the cafeteria by myself, eat unassisted and yes walk up stairs. I explained that I can do those things. Then I explained what I had been educated to do.

E.

At 10:50 PM 12/3/2006, you wrote:
Just submitted Ths Last Duel by Eric Jager

From the Publisher

In 1386, a few days after Christmas, a massive crowd gathered at a Parisian monastery to witness what would become the nation's final trial by combat: a court-ordered duel intended to let God determine which of two men was telling the truth. The story proved notorious during its time and is referred to in histories of medieval France, but no writer has recounted it in full until now.

The Last Duel brings to life the tragic drama and fascinating details of a scandalous incident that occurred during one of world history's most tumultous eras, the fourteenth century: a time of war, plague, and suffering--and, paradoxically, chivalry, honor, loyalty, and courtly love. At the heart of the tale is Jean de Carrouges, a Norman knight who returned from combat in the Hundred Years' War to find his wife, Marguerite, accusing an old friend and fellow courtier of brutally raping her. The knight took his cause before the teenage King Charles VI, who in turn handed the case to the highest court of appeal. While Marguerite endured a very public pregnancy--and doubts about her charge and the paternity of her child--the squire's lengthy trial led only to deadlock, and to a government-sanctioned fight to the death that also left Marguerite's fate in the balance. For if her knight lost the duel and she was therefore deemed a false accuser, she would be burned alive.

Jim B