[bksvol-discuss] Wish List Request

  • From: "Nancy Feldman" <nancy_feldman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:27:01 -0600

Hi,

Definitely a horror title here:

Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror by Douglas E. Winter

Winter has put together a classy collection of original horror stories by
some of the biggest names in the field reminiscent in intent and quality of
Dennis Etchison's anthology of two years ago, Cutting Edge. The lead story,
"The Night Flier," is by Stephen King but is one of the weakest in the book,
a vampire tale with a long windup and a brief punch. "Having a Woman at
Lunch" by Paul Hazel is a carefully written, ironic account of a group of
diffident males who find a macabre way of dealing with a woman who
infiltrates their circle. Clive Barker's "Coming to Grief" is one of this
writer's quieter stories, which clearly shows the influence of Ramsey
Campbell, himself represented by "Next Time You'll Know Me," about a
homicidal paranoic for whom it is difficult not to feel sorry. "Food" by
Thomas Tessier tells of an obese woman undergoing a metamorphosis and the
unfortunate man who loves her. Other excellent contributions are by M. John
Harrison, Peter Straub and Whitley Strieber.

Any takers?  I'll happily validate.  I know longer have a scanner, as my old
one no longer works with Windows 7.