[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating books you hate

  • From: Shannon Curry <shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:10:03 -0600

The dialogue is hackneyed in the way that dialogue in superhero cartoons is hackneyed. You know, stuff like, "I will have vengeance! Let the land be washed in the blood of humanity for the crimes it has committed." I paraphrase, but you get the idea. Normally, I don't mind stuff like that, if there's something I can like about the story. But it was trying really hard to be earnest, and that didn't work so well for me.

I have been a lurker on this list for some time. School and life mean I don't proofread as much as I'd like to, but lately most of what I've been reading has come from Bookshare so I thought I'd get a bit more serious about it.
And feel free to schmooze offlist. :)

Shannon

At 12:28 PM 2/17/2010, Kim Friedman wrote:
Hi, Shannon, I'm thinking if the book makes you cringe, then it's better you
give it to somebody who has a stronger stomach. How bad is the dialog? I've
read books which had an overuse of adverbs and a lot of purple prose in the
sex scenes and I read the story because I ordered the thing and chose to
finish it, but those purple passages made me say something like: "Oh, come
on! It can't be like that! Seeing eternity, my eye! Oh, I grant you they
liked it a lot, but really!" You get the drift? I've read stuff by David
Eddings and he is a great storyteller, but I have issues with how he makes
his characters speak to each other. I'm picky. If you've read Agatha
Christie, I hate her dialog and prefer the dialog written by Ngaio Marsh,
Margery Allingham, Dorothy L. Sayers (even though Lord Peter Wimsey sounds
affected which I think was the fashion at the time), and Josephine Tey. I
hope you like your next book. I haven't read messages from you before, so if
you're knew to this list, it's very nice to meet you. Would you consider
writing me off list? I'm a semi-green proofreader and it would be nice to do
general schmoozing or talk shop. Regards, Kim Friedman.