[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating books you hate

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:28:20 -0800

Hi, Shannon, I'm thinking if the book makes you cringe, then it's better you
give it to somebody who has a stronger stomach. How bad is the dialog? I've
read books which had an overuse of adverbs and a lot of purple prose in the
sex scenes and I read the story because I ordered the thing and chose to
finish it, but those purple passages made me say something like: "Oh, come
on! It can't be like that! Seeing eternity, my eye! Oh, I grant you they
liked it a lot, but really!" You get the drift? I've read stuff by David
Eddings and he is a great storyteller, but I have issues with how he makes
his characters speak to each other. I'm picky. If you've read Agatha
Christie, I hate her dialog and prefer the dialog written by Ngaio Marsh,
Margery Allingham, Dorothy L. Sayers (even though Lord Peter Wimsey sounds
affected which I think was the fashion at the time), and Josephine Tey. I
hope you like your next book. I haven't read messages from you before, so if
you're knew to this list, it's very nice to meet you. Would you consider
writing me off list? I'm a semi-green proofreader and it would be nice to do
general schmoozing or talk shop. Regards, Kim Friedman.