[bksvol-discuss] Strange scanning problem

  • From: "Jenny Wood" <mellow.yellow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:48:38 -0600

Hi all,

This is kind of a long shot, but I thought I would post to the list to find
out if anyone else has come across a similar problem as the one I have been
struggling with the past few days.  First of all, I am using windows 2000
with the Kurzweil 1000 software package, and have a Microtech scanner.  I
have been working on scanning a novel now for a week or more, and managed to
get through more than half of the book with very few errors or corrections.
However, it seems within the past few days, the quality has become extremely
poor.  I have tried cleaning the scanner bed several times, and had my
sighted husband verify that there were still no obvious scratches or smudges
I missed.  The quality of the print in the book itself has also not changed.
In fact, I tried rescanning a page from the beginning of the book, and still
came up with very poor quality.  It seems that lots of random text is left
out completely, while other words are butchered badly.  Rebooting and
shutting everything down completely doesn't seem to have helped either.  I
have also unplugged the scanner several times to reset it manually, but no
change.  I have tried both version 7 and 9 of the Kurzweil packages, and
both seem to experience the same problem.  Everything will scan beautifully
for the first one to two-hundred pages, then the quality degrades
dramatically.  Is there possibly some sort of cache of stored pages Kurzweil
keeps somewhere that I could try clearing?  I have not yet tried updating
the drivers for the scanner, but will have a look this weekend to see if
there is anything more recent available.  The scanner is only about a year
and-a-half old.  Could a bad USB cable or flakey A.C. adapter cause this
type of problem?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jenny