[bksvol-discuss] Re: Staff Change at Bookshare

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:07:08 -0800

Thanks for your warm welcome, Courtney!

Yes, working with the Oakland school district was very much a challenge - lots
of bureaucracy and few financial resources.  We had over 5,000 students living
in foster care, and thousands more with relatives...not to mention hundreds who
were homeless and living in shelters or cars...My fondest memory was inviting
our most disadvantaged youth to a free "shopping day" at Barnes and Noble.
Students were invited to select as many books as they could carry!  I'll never
forget the looks on their faces and the excitement they expressed as they ran
up and down the aisles picking out books.  Students left with armloads of
books, many of whom had never owned a book in their life.  We also had a very
dedicated volunteer who ensured that every foster care group home in Oakland
(30 in all) got a sizable library of books and a computer or two!  Aside from
their textbooks, these students had no computers or books in their own homes,
before our volunteer made it happen.  So you can imagine how much I appreciate
the power of what just one volunteer can do to enrich the lives of the people
we serve and I truly look forward to hearing all the amazing things you're
doing here at Bookshare, and developing plans for the future.

Kindly,  Alisa Moore