[bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzled about all our new vounteer requests

  • From: Courtney Stover <liamskitten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:24:02 -0600

Scott,

That last point is very puzzling!

For the increase in sign-ups of people who are members, I think it may
be because of some of the publishers who haven't agreed to provide
books for Bookshare.  I've recently become interested in the young
adult genre; I'm not its target audience, so my guesses about this may
be off. Some of the publishers who haven't signed with bookshare e.g.
Penguine, Tor, McMillan etc. are producing what are, in my oppinion,
some of the most interesting young adult titles and these titles
usually aren't being scanned by the outsourcers/inhouse.  This is
definitely not a criticism; I understand that the focus of the
outsourcers needs to be on higher level books.  It's just that as more
students sign up, they or their parents (which could account for some
of the non-member sign-ups) may want to scan these sorts of books.

Speaking of publishers, do you know what the status of Egmont U.S.A.
is as far as contributing books to bookshare?  They contributed some
content, and then the content from the stopped, so I'm rather
confused.
Courtney
P.S.: I'm just putting this on the table.. but whenever Bookshare's
next ordering cycle comes around, if there's a wish to expand on
scanning books from the YA genre, iether fantasy or contemporary, I'd
be more than happy to offer suggestions.