[bksvol-discuss] Re: Nobel Prize winners in Literature from 1901 was Special COllections

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:06:25 -0400

Indeed, you need to know where you came from to know where you are going. For that reason I have studied history and I consider my studies of history to have been essential to my political activism. However, we are not talking about history. We are talking about fiction. That is entertainment. Your preference in entertainment is an incredibly thin basis on which to hang feelings of self superiority. Yet there are people who do just that.

On 3/11/2012 9:57 PM, Ixchel, Jackie wrote:
Hi Anne,
I agree with you, you need to know where you've come from in order to
determine where you want to go.
Jackie

On 3/11/12, Ann Parsons<akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi all,

<smiling with twinkle>   Ah, the relevancy argument again.  Roger, my
friend, you date yourself.  Relevancy was the popular cry in the 60s
and 70s.  All literature taught in English classes had to be relevant.
The problem is that like those old, crabby English teachers you estue,
relevancy is determined by the reader.  I think that Harry Potter is
relevant.  I also think that Macbeth and Hamlet are relevant.  Granted,
they are relevant for different reasons, but they are, indeed,
relevant.  Now, the only reason I consider Thomas Wolfe and Somerset
Maughan relevant is because they typify a certain era in literature.  I
personally do not enjoy reading these authors, but I do consider them
relevant when in the context of a literature class.  You have to know
where you've come from in order to know where you're going.  That's why
history is relevant.  Understanding one's culture is related closely to
understanding its literature, but again, relevancy is in the eye of the
reader.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons