[bksvol-discuss] Re: Nobel Prize winners in Literature from 1901 was Special COllections

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 03:52:20 -0700 (PDT)

At first I thought you are right; then I began to think that maybe it was
awarded for a body of work, so I went to a Nobel.org site and found this:   so
I guess it's not one particular book.  For Sinclair Lewis I found this:

Sinclair Lewis
The Nobel Prize in Literature 1930 was awarded to Sinclair Lewis "for his
vigorous and graphic art of description and his ability to create, with wit and
humour, new types of characters".for Pearl Buck I found this:

Facts on the Nobel Prize in Literature
On 27 November  1895, Alfred Nobel signed
his last will and testament, giving the largest share of his fortune to a
series of prizes, the Nobel Prizes. As described in Nobel's will one
part was dedicated to “the person who shall have produced in the field
of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction”. Learn
more about the Nobel Prize in Literature from 1901 to 2011.

That dosn't make it very clear, though; does "most outstanding work mean one
book or body of work
I checked the Nobel site for Sinclair Lewis and found this:
The Nobel Prize in Literature 1930 was awarded to Sinclair Lewis "for his
vigorous and graphic art of description and his ability to create, with wit and
humour, new types of characters".
For Pearl Buck I found this:

The Nobel Prize in Literature 1938 was awarded to Pearl Buck "for her rich and
truly epic descriptions of peasant life in China and for her biographical
masterpieces". , . for Pearl Buck I found this:

The Nobel Prize in Literature 1938 was awarded to Pearl Buck "for her rich and
truly epic descriptions of peasant life in China and for her biographical
masterpieces". and for Rudyard Kipling, this:

The Nobel Prize in Literature 1907 was awarded to Rudyard Kipling "in
consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination,
virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the
creations of this world-famous author".I also learned that Kipling was the
youngest author to receive the prize ( That year The Jungle Book was mentioned
whenhe won. Doris Lessing was the oldest winner, age 88 (I think it was 2007,
but now I don't remembered, even though I just read it.

I don't hink we'd necessarily have to have all the books a prizewinner wrote,
maybe just one or a few that are representative of the author. It's odd to hink
that The Jungle Book was mentioned when Kipling won when he wrote so many
others--or maybe I'm thinking og pems, like Kim (was that a book). I know Pearl
Book wrot a lot of books about China because I've read most of them, especially
her children's book, The Chinese Children Next Door). The award mentioned her
biographies. I didn't know she wrote biographies. Her most famous book is
probably The Great Earth, but there were sequels, too which I read--all very
good.
Cindy

>________________________________

about the Nobel Prize for Literature, here's some  general info,including a
list of all winners since 1901.If anyone wants to make a project
of scanning any of the books we don't have I'd be happy to proof
them, although I don't
know how we could do non-English books unless they have been translated. I
knosw
there'a at least one Sinclair Lewis book because I proofed it, and Kipling's
poetry is in,because Amy scanned that and I proofed it. I don't know about his
novels; and I'm sure, though I didn't check that The Good Earth must be in.
>Here's the info I copied from online:
>
>All Nobel Prizes in Literature
>
>The Nobel Prize in Literature has been awarded 104 times to
108 Nobel Laureates between 1901 and 2011. All Nobel Prizes in Literature

> [...]
>Gabriel García Márquez
>1981
>Elias Canetti
>1980
>Czeslaw Milosz
>1979
>Odysseus Elytis
>1978
>Isaac Bashevis Singer
>1977
>Vicente Aleixandre
>1976
>Saul Bellow
>1975
>Eugenio Montale
>1974
>Eyvind Johnson, Harry Martinson
>1973
>Patrick White
>1972
>Heinrich Böll
>1971
>Pablo Neruda
>1970
>Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn
>1969
>Samuel Beckett
>1968
>Yasunari Kawabata
>1967
>Miguel Angel Asturias
>1966
>Shmuel Yosef Agnon, Nelly Sachs
>1965
>Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov
>1964
>Jean-Paul Sartre
>1963
>Giorgos Seferis
>1962
>John Steinbeck
>1961
>Ivo Andric
>1960
>Saint-John Perse
>1959
>Salvatore Quasimodo
>1958
>Boris Leonidovich Pasternak
>1957
>Albert Camus
>1956
>Juan Ramón Jiménez
>1955
>Halldór Kiljan Laxness
>1954
>Ernest Miller Hemingway
>1953
>Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
>1952
>François Mauriac
>1951
>Pär Fabian Lagerkvist
>1950
>Earl (Bertrand Arthur William) Russell
>1949
>William Faulkner
>1948
>Thomas Stearns Eliot
>1947
>André Paul Guillaume Gide
>1946
>Hermann Hesse
>1945
>Gabriela Mistral
>1944
>Johannes Vilhelm Jensen
>1943
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this
prize section.
>1942
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this
prize section.
>1941
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this
prize section.
>1940
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this
prize section.
>1939
>Frans Eemil Sillanpää
>1938
>Pearl Buck
>1937
>Roger Martin du Gard
>1936
>Eugene Gladstone O'Neill
>1935
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this
prize section.
>1934
>Luigi Pirandello
>1933
>Ivan Alekseyevich Bunin
>1932
>John Galsworthy
>1931
>Erik Axel Karlfeldt
>1930
>Sinclair Lewis
>1929
>Thomas Mann
>1928
>Sigrid Undset
>1927
>Henri Bergson
>1926
>Grazia Deledda
>1925
>George Bernard Shaw
>1924
>Wladyslaw Stanislaw Reymont
>1923
>William Butler Yeats
>1922
>Jacinto Benavente
>1921
>Anatole France
>1920
>Knut Pedersen Hamsun
>1919
>Carl Friedrich Georg Spitteler
>1918
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section.
>1917
>Karl Adolph Gjellerup, Henrik Pontoppidan
>1916
>Carl Gustaf Verner von Heidenstam
>1915
>Romain Rolland
>1914
>No Nobel Prize was awarded this year. The prize money was
allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section.
>1913
>Rabindranath Tagore
>1912
>Gerhart Johann Robert Hauptmann
>1911
>Count Maurice (Mooris) Polidore Marie Bernhard
Maeterlinck
>1910
>Paul Johann Ludwig Heyse
>1909
>Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf
>1908
>Rudolf Christoph Eucken
>1907
>Rudyard Kipling
>1906
>Giosuè Carducci
>1905
>Henryk Sienkiewicz
>1904
>Frédéric Mistral, José Echegaray y Eizaguirre
>1903
>Bjørnstjerne Martinus Bjørnson
>1902
>Christian Matthias Theodor Mommsen
>1901
>Sully Prudhomme
>

>And here's the list of all winners since
1901

>Cindy

message.
Database: 2114/4863 - Release Date: 03/10/12