[bksvol-discuss] Re: New Volunteer Looking for Help

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:55:35 -0500

Hi Roger and welcome to the list.
Okay, please give us more information when you tell us about a problem. You
said you were using jaws, which version? It could make a difference. It might
help if we knew what operating system you are using, windows/xp, vista, 95,
98...

The field you are trying to fill in probably causes more problems for more
people.

But, once you get used to it, you will breeze through this part of the upload
process.

Before you can tell bookshare to accept a book you need to tell it where the
book is on your system. In the description which follows, I may not have all
the fields and buttons named correctly. I am going from memory, and memory is
not my best asset.

We'll use as an example a book  I uploaded yesterday. The book is titled "magic
for beginners". But, I wound up with several versions of this book on my
computer, so I had to tell the bookshare computer exactly which one I wanted to
upload.

It turns out that the book I wanted to upload is called "C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Kurzweil Educational Systems\in
progress\BSO_Magic_for_Beginners_f1.rtf".

If I tried to type that I'd never get a good upload. I'm not that good a typist.

Before the "accept" button, there are two fields. The first is an edit field
where the brave at heart can type the complete path to where their book is. If
you do type the name in this field then skip the next field which is a "browse"
button.

However, most of us, I suspect, prefer to let our computers tell bookshare's
computer where the book is, so we hit the browse button. This opens up another
window which is the same kind of dialog you use when you open a file.
It has a file-name, a file-type, an open button, a cancel button, and, finally,
the fields that let you find the folder containing the book.

In the first "look in" field, I would first search for the c drive.  When this
is highlighted, I would tab to the next field (I forget what it is exactly
called), but it's another "look in" field. Depending on which operating system
you use, you may have two buttons between these fields. If so, just ignore them.
In the second field your up and down arros will tell you which folders you are
looking at. In my case, I want to go to the "documents and settings" and hit
enter. This will bring up a list of all the files in "documents and settings".
I am looking for the "administrator" folder. I find it and hit enter on it.
Then I'm looking for the "my documents" folder, and so on and so on, until I go
to the last folder needed, which is the "in progress" folder. I hit enter on
that name, and arrow down to the "BSO_Magic_for_Beginners_f1.rtf" file. If I
tab once it should take me to the file-name field which is filled in with the
"BSO_Magic_for_Beginners_f1.rtf".

So, I tab over to the open button and hit enter. This makes the screen go away
and takes you back to where you were originally. However, that edit field where
only the true-in-spirit dare type a file-name is now filled in with your file
name, complete with all the preceeding folders etc.

So, skip down to the "accept" button and hit enter.

Give the two computers about five minutes to converse. As the manual says you
should get a thank you screen. Check out the various fields and make sure the
correct fields and checkboxes are correct.

Then hit the "accept" button once more and your book will be set for
administrator approval.

Sorry about the long description, but I simply tried to tell you what I would
have wanted to know when I started out.

If you have further questions, let us know.

Bob