[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help with a book, Total money makeover

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:13:31 -0400

James,

The decolumnization process typically happens at OCR level and not at the
scanning level.  So, programs such as Kurzweil and Openbook are capable of
taking multicolumn text and trying their best to ensure that the text flows
correctly.  Due to the way screen readers and other speech programs handle
text flows--i.e., text is serialized from left to right, top to bottom, it
is recommended that no text appears in multiple columns.

Cindy, to answer your question, Bookshare does not recognize columns per se.
There is no intelligence built into the software that will recognize
structure and differentiate the layout.  So multicolumn text would be read
from left to right and from top to bottom.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pratik