[bksvol-discuss] About The Chat Room Problem

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:28:20 -0400

Fellow Booksharians, I am disappointed in your response to this thread and how it has spread. I know you don't usually jump to conclusions about people. Neither Cindy, Dilsia, nor Elizabeth were present, and yet several people have taken their messages to heart and are roasting a man for saying something that they did not hear themselves. I respect Linda's feelings and opinion, though I do not share it. Brian's comments have been taken out of context, were not shared in their entirety, and no one has even asked anyone else present at the chats to clarify this. His comments were made in response to a question asked about using live transcription in the chat room so our hearing-impaired friends could be part of the chat as it's happening. I know Brian personally, and I know that while he is sometimes hasty to speak his mind, he is not a person who bashes blind people or who thinks blind people can't type quickly. He is blind himself, and one of his hot buttons is fighting stereotypes such as the misguided belief that all blind people can tune pianos, do transcription, or play music like Ronnie Milsap. I have never heard Brian say that blind people cannot hold down jobs or be part of the world. By the same token, he is a direct person somewhat like Elizabeth and will say what he thinks plainly. He will gladly explain what he's thinking if you ask for clarification and sometimes doesn't fully realize that he's been misunderstood. He is also a person who will quickly change his behavior if he knows he's offending someone and does often admit and apologize when he's wrong. He may not be your cup of tea, and yet he isn't an evil trolling worm as he has been called on this list. Because of these things, I would appreciate it if people would take what they hear second hand from the chats with a big grain of salt and/or attend the chats when possible. You might conclude that Brian is as much of a jerk as has been written here, or you might find a pleasant surprise by meeting a person who has an unique perspective on the world. Either way, you'll know for sure what is being said and why.

Monica Willyard

At 04:12 PM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
It sounds to me as if his disability is mental.

Cindy

or what his
> disability might be. Sounds
> silly.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.