[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Request for Fewer Off-Topic Messages

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:56:32 -0400

As a matter of fact, I am one of those, myself, who repeatedly considers unsubscribing because of the off topic messages and I will have to admit that I have been one of the contributors to them. The problem is that when a message comes along to which I have a response it is a bit difficult to restrain myself from responding and undoubtedly that is the case with everyone else too. The trouble is that there are just too many of us to be unrestrainedly responding to everything that strikes us. There is actually no moderator for this list, so it would be good to moderate ourselves if we can. In my recent telephone communications with a certain Bookshare employee he asked me what I thought of this list. I said that it has been very helpful for one thing. As a technically ignorant person not only have I learned a lot about the technical aspects of prepearing books for Bookshare, but I have also learned a lot about just how to use my computer in general. I then said that there is also a lot of chit-chat. On that he agreed and said that he had subscribed for a while but had quit because he just couldn't take it. He just did not have the time for all the non Bookshare related discussion. He went on to say that there should be a moderator, but if that was done there would be a lot of complaints from people who were being shut up. I added that it would be a whole job to do it too. I doubt that Bookshare can hire someone to specifically be a moderator and if an employee was assigned the job in addition to their current duties just think how much time it would take away from those other duties. So let us try to moderate ourselves with a little self restraint. And remember, when you respond to this very thread you are contributing to the problem by doing even that because discussing off topic discussion is also off topic.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
Stephen Roberts

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: