[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Question please and thank you.

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:48:27 -0600

I also nowadays will use my Find feature to find a text string, more than an
using an Index in a book.

But that being said...

Sometimes an index is an invaluable tool. Not always, but sometimes.  And when
it is a part of the book and our version of the book in the Bookshare
collections does not have it, we have short changed our many friends and fellow
members. For that some time when it may be invaluable, I say we should always
try and go ahead and scan it, right where it is, there at the end of the book.

Just my opinion.

It is also neat in an index, to know how many times a name or event is
referenced.

I will say, in addition, however, this.  That when I scan a book with an index,
often I find it very useful to change my scanning settings from what I was
using. Say to change the column settings or change to scan in 1 page mode
versus 2 page. Things like that.  And often I will go and look each page over
rather carefully, just to see that it was a decent scan. If it was not, I will
re-scan it.  I find that often there is a tendencies for errors.  I also find
that I would prefer to do the ranked spelling corrections on the book BEFORE I
scan the Index. That way, I will have high likelihood that all the corrections
in the main text of the book has already been dealt with.

I hope those comments are useful.

Thanks.
Rik James

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 12:24 PM

Indexing is very often important to people with physical and learning
disabilities.  Others have said, though, that it is optional at this time.

Valerie

Check out my kids at:

<new>

http://www.caringbridge.org/ms/nicholemaples

http://www.caringbridge.org/ms/cindymaples

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jorgemaples

On 09 01, 2009, at 11:54 AM,
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
wrote:

block quote
I think it is generally advised to keep scanning until there is no further
print to scan, but, personally, I doubt the necessity of index and advertising.
block quote end

block quote end