[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Question please and thank you.

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:10:10 EDT

That is what I was thinking. The only time I have ever used an index was
when I was writing a paper for school and I needed to look for some specific
information without intending to actually read the book. When these books are
transformed into electronic files almost every device used to read them has
a word or phrase search function that seems to make the index superfluous.
Also, the index is located at the end of the book making it necessary to
navigate to the index and then navigate back through the book if one is to use
it. It seems to me that if the index really has a use in electronic books it
should be at the beginning, but then if that was the case it would be very
annoying to those who do not intend to use it. I note that RFB&D which has a
policy of recording entire books apparently does not consider the index to
be part of the book because even though every footnote and picture credit is
included the index is always excluded.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies
the end.
" Leon Trotsky

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Question please and thank you.
Date:
9/2/2009 3:30:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I don't proofread indices because I think a person can do a search for the
word they want and then will see or hear the page. I do see their value. As
sighted person I do use the index of a nonfiction book and am annoyed when
one isn't there.

Cindy

Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and
books-being-scanned list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: