[AZ-Observing] Re: Instant criminals

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:00:28 -0700

Thad hit on the main point: how could one possibly track a vehicle that's
moving so fast?  Also, consider the size of an amateur astronomer's laser
at the typical distance to an airplane viewed from an observing site.
Even when we used to set up at Buckeye Hills, where flights came overhead
on final approach, their altitude was still several miles.  The laser is
visible at this distance, but if I understand the stories from the Grand
Canyos Star Party North/South Rim laser wars, the beam of a consumer laser
diverges at a pretty great angle.  Wouldn't the spot be several feet in
diameter at the typical airplane distance of seven-plus miles?

Most points in this discussion have already been made on sci.astro.amateur
in the past week.  You might look here:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Search the group sci.astro.amateur for the past week, using keywords such
as laser.  Mixed in with the noisy posts are some interesting pieces of
information.

Tom