atw: Re: Vale technical writing?

  • From: "Geoffrey" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:02:35 +1100

Tony

Have you ever thought that your style of writing -which you now admit to
being somewhat rhetorical-is just not suited to this profession. Maybe it
works in copy-writing and marketing. Silly me for reading your words
literally.

And no, I know exactly what you mean when you talk about  XML as an enabling
tool in publishing (and it would only be a duffer who might have thought I
was talking about the XML code the lies behind MS Word, InDesign etc). I've
been using Adobe FrameMaker to generate XML-tagged documentation for
donkey's years (and SGML-tagged documentation before that) and so I can
attest from experience to the continuing  problems in generating decently
formatted documents.

By the way,  you haven't addressed the challenge in my first numbered
paragraph: would you tell a client to bugger off and take black-only
documentation when they explicitly wanted green documentation or pink? Or
were you only being ironical, rhetorical, quasi-funny or whatever when you
made your claim that the age of customer choice is over?

Perhaps if you rewrote your outline in a way that gave the  literal-minded,
intelligent reader no opportunity to misunderstand your point, you would not
only better reveal your skills as a professional communicator, but also
attract a few more folk to your talk.

Dr Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd