atw: Re: Vale technical writing?

  • From: Bill Parker <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:55:07 +0800

I think Tony Self has no contact with the real world.

I am dealing with scientists and engineers who need to deliver plain documents
in Word, and if their readers cannot read them, that's a failure in
communications straightaway.

Here's an example.  Your firm manages an FPSO.  A seriously large converted oil
tanker that has a drilling rig at one end, a helipad and storage tanks. You are
in the thick of complex procedures, safety requirements.  You write SOPs, you
write reports from the broken rail to the serious accident.

Where's the time to get into the fancy stuff when the boss in Houston wants a
report in Word that he or she can read ASAP?  The KEY issue is clear, correct,
comprehendible writing produced in the quickest way possible.  These guys do
not have time to scratch themselves, and many are FIFOs.   And Australia is
currently dependant on them and their colleagues in ore mining to keep some
semblance of an economy going.

Bill