atw: Re: Vale technical writing?

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:41:26 +1100

I'm glad Geoffrey brought this topic up and find my self pretty much
sharing his reaction.

What concerns me most is that our profession is being invaded by
'technical' people who know next to nothing, and care even less, about
language and communication, while they fancy themselves as experts in XML
or PHP or whatever is the current fad. I don't have any objection to
single-sourcing or ePublishing or other kinds of online documentation -
provided *the author* is involved and makes the key design decisions about
his or her work. I found it really chilling to hear a talk at the last ASTC
(NSW) conference in which the speaker described how the web designers go
about grabbing what they delight in calling 'content' from anywhere and
re-using it to make their site look fancier and to show off what *they* can
do. One way they got 'content' was to grab the subject-matter experts and
interview them, then transcribe the interview, probably using Dragon
Naturally or some other automated transcription tool and, lo, there was
their article! Who needs to actually *think* about what goes into a
document, after all, let alone how to make it easy to digest and
understand? Now, *there's* one good reason to have accreditation for our
profession - to keep out these Neanderthals!

If I'm producing single-source documentation, I'm designing it for each
output form, with the needs of that audience in mind, using conditional
text to care of those different audiences. Some of these 'Neanderthals'
wouldn't even have a clue how to tailor a document for an audience - 'oh
yes, we can take this document and convert it to HTML; what do you mean it
was written for end users and we're giving it to administrators, it's
content and it fits the title, isn't it?'

Howard