atw: Re: Vale technical writing?

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:28:28 +1100

It's a bigger issue than even Tony is saying, and I see XML as a step on a
path rather than a destination.

Publishing failed to grasp the significance of the changes being brought
about by technology and is going broke fast. Those changes are not just
about the tools used.  For example, in publishing, it is not just about
putting a novel into a format for a reader.  It is about questioning if, as
a society, novels are morphing into something else, and if so, what?

When you try to convert anything you have written for paper format to some
kind of on-line format, you realise that you have to change what you want to
communicate and the way you communicate it as well as the tools you will use
to communicate it through.  The form IS, to a certain extent, determining
the function.

My personal learning on this level is that everything I write must be in
screen sized bites, no matter what I might prefer, and my suspicion is that
we have bred and trained a generation that is only capable of both
structuring and decoding information that IS in screen sized bites.

While there are still "old school" people who read novels, who can read
manuals particularly for high level technical information, and who do learn
something in a classroom, there will be some need for materials produced the
way we produce them now, but many of us are approaching retirement age and
when we are gone, what will best serve the generations following us through?

I personally have no idea where this will end with both technical writing
and instructional design, but I do know that the current forms for both are
culturally archaic, in that much of what we do serves little or no real
purpose.  We all know the door stop jokes, and we also know that much of the
training we deliver does not result in well trained users of whatever.  I
would not be expressing Tony's certainty that XML is the future, but I am
certain that the past is not the future.

I wish is could be.  I don't much like this new world.  But I imagine we are
stuck with it.

Christine