atw: Re: Urgent FrameMaker problem

  • From: Craig Hadden <CraigH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:37:00 +1000

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions, both on- and off-list. With your
help, I worked around the problem on Friday, and have since put in a
permanent solution.

To get around my deadline on Friday, I ended-up simply keeping the table too
wide for the text column, so that it overlapped the side-head area. (As soon
as I made the table more than about 5mm wider than the text column,
FrameMaker moved the table to the left of the side-head area and back onto
the original page. I can make the table move backwards and forwards between
the original page and the next page simply by dragging the right column's
edge so that the table is either >5mm or <4mm too wide for the text column!
As I said in my original message, that has no effect on text-wrapping, so
the table's height should remain constant.)

Several people mentioned the Keep With Next paragraph setting. It turned out
that the paragraph containing the table anchor does have Keep With Next set,
so that's the root cause. We already have a tag called Anchor that has a
font size of 2pt, so the long-term solution is to insert one of those to
break the grip on the paragraph following the table.

However, I am still mystified why changing the table's width (alone) can
affect its pagination, as described above. (Its Start setting remains set to
Anywhere, and its Orphan Rows setting remains set to 1.)

If anyone can answer that aspect of the problem, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Craig