atw: Re: The Queen's English? and politically correct calendars

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 13:32:19 +1000

Warren Lewington: On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:40:03 +1000,  you wrote:
> Well, we Christians kind of started a lot of wars a fair while ago... Right
> about the crusades. Oh, and South Americans have a few yarns worth
> hearing...

Didn't notice you'd stopped starting them, actually. Be a good idea if all
religionists did.  Ireland... Israel/Palestine ...  Bosnia/Serbia/etc... (and
we won't mention points east thereof ?)   Loving Gods let people kill
their neighbours with impunity.   Sure.

Yeah, well...

A few of us Dawkins-ists? Dawkinsites ? unbelievers ? ok Pastafarians are
entitled
to a go here.    But I don't see why "the year of our Lord" isn't acceptable,
given
it's/its  historical usage.    Otherwise I might insist on the year of our
Flying
Spaghetti Monster.   http://www.venganza.org/  and some breakaways following
a Renaissance and Reformation period amongst followers of the noodle might
have their say, too. (Spaghetti and Pulsar Activating Meatballs).

And the handy thing about CE etc is that avoids the somewhat perplexing detail
that, assuming there was an historical Jesus, he wasn't born when it was
assumed later he was born.  So AD wasn't AD but more like AD-4 or somesuch..

And then there's the continuing problem of  AD 0 ?  AD 1  -- but that's another
story....