atw: Re: Query: Deliberate misspellings

  • From: "Warren Lewington" <wjlewington@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:01:56 +1100

As a technical communicator to the automotive industry for nearly a decade,
I can assure you that the only sensible thing to do is use and insist on the
correct Australian grammar. I never use jargon or miss-spellings in my out
put to clients such as Repco or others.

As for marketing stuff, most of it is inaccurate anyway.

As an experienced communicator speaking, they only read if they have to,
they are too  reading lazy, so a picture is much better, or a cartoon style.
Limit the text. Limit the text.

You have to keep it simple. SIMPLE. Most of them could not read the phonetic
spelling or the miss-spelling for "dyno-tuning", or dynamometer testing
anyway.

Please do not think that I am talking down at them, most of these people
arrive here with limited education, family histories of manual labour, and
from countries where print material is rare. But you test their memories for
remembering detail, and their abilities with tools and manual labour. WOW.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and prosperity in the new year!

Wassa.