atw: Re: OT: WARNING: Recruiter advertisements are ONLY trawling for resumes for tender responses!

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:22:02 +1000

Terry,
When I worked at a polling booth - once in about 1986 - preferences were
counted AS FAR AS NEEDED.  This meant that they could be used well past the
first three.

>not that my one vote matters much<
Your one vote does count
- Coogee in a NSW state by-election in about 1973 where the final result
was almost a tie with candidate A getting ONE MORE vote.  There was a
recount and candidate B got one more vote.  Then there was an all-in state
election.
- Spain had a general election and the winning party won by one seat AND
the last seat counted was won by one vote!

I usually vote using the preferential system
1 - Sun Ripened Warm Tomato Party (yes, that was a genuine party in the
ACT)
   or Ivor F (Spelling Reform Party in NSW Senate)
   or Lets Have A Party
   or similar crazy party who I want to get into at least double figures so
the major parties will notice them.
2 - vote for the major party of my choice.

So much fun and, worryingly, so few people understand how it all works.
Just look at us lot.
Bob T

--
Bob Trussler