atw: Re: OT I hate it when I am this right

  • From: Allan Charlton <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:01:49 +1000

Whenever I hear someone praising autonomous cars - or, indeed, any 'smart' electronic device, I invite them to meet my robot vacuum cleaner. Mine is nowhere near as smart as its manufacturerer claimed, but it's fun to watch as it makes its decisions.
I wouldn't dream of buying a car from those people! Not a chance!

My car is ten years old and it's knee-deep in computers, all connected to an OBDII port. That stuff can be very useful, but problematical. My son borrowed my car to tow a trailer carrying some parts and he had an accident with the trailer. The automatic transmission on my car disengaged itself and wouldn't re-engage until my brakes were inspected. That cost him an expensive towing job. An old-style mechanic wouldn't have a chance of working that out.

And if you think your ten-year-old car isn't computer-controlled, I suggest you think again.

Allan

To contact the list administrator, send a message to