atw: Re: Jargon Alert

  • From: zut <zut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:28:22 +0200

* À 20080417-1713_Thu, Peter Martin (peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) écrivit:

> at a given station?   God knows how hard it is for non-English-speaking=
>  tourists to make out some of the live announcements as it is, but even I=

The title of my (yet to be published) book of experiences on
the Sydney suburban railways is "Stinking Dusty Claws". Back
in the days when the most recent of new Australian railway
employees were charged with the responsibility of making the
announcements, I could never understand this message, which
was passed just before the train left the station. A bit
later, I heard "Stanley Docks Clocks", then "Stankle Docks
Locks", and thought it was a form of advertising.

Finally, the penny dropped: "Stand clear, doors closing"
spoken in a variety of accents, over a faulty PA system, by
someone who was sick and tired of making the announcement
hundreds of times per day.

 There was always something to amuse during the Town Hall to
Liverpool trip.

Reg