atw: Re: Help with US English terms - Tacho

  • From: MHT <runfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:35:52 -0600

YUP, tachometer wins the prize. We (USofA) say "tach" rather than "tacho" for short, which here could be mistaken for "taco" (especially if pronounced as in an OZ) which can mean either a delightful Mexican food, or a slang term that shares some similarity with the OZ re-framing of the American fanny pak.

MNMary