atw: Re: "An H" Verses "A H"

  • From: "Brian Clarke" <brianclarke01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:19:39 +1000

If we go far enough back in the evolution of English, we find that most words
commencing with 'h' did not have the 'h' aspirated in oral usage. Hence, the
use of the preceding 'an'. In some states of N America, pronunciation of all
words commencing with 'h' leave it unaspirated. Ow many erbs did you ave on
your meal in the otel? Sounds odd to our melting potted ears.
Brian.