atw: Re: "An H" Verses "A H"

  • From: Kirsty.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:50:27 +1000

Nigel,
Depends on how the word is pronounced by the author.  If they say, for
example, "'istory" rather than "history", they should put "an" in front of
it. Words like honour have a silent h, or a spelled but unpronounced h, so
they should have "an" before them.

We might have learnt the rule at school that words that start with a vowel
take an and words that start with a consonant take a. But you need to
apply this from a phonetic point of view, not a spelling point of view.

Hope this helps,
KT

Kirsty Taylor
Editor
delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

Nigel Dawes <NigelD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
17-06-2004 02:45 PM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Austechwriter (austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)"
<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
atw: "An H" Verses "A H"

Dear AuzTechies

Can you please explain to me why I so often see "an" precede a word
beginning with H?

When I went to school, only words commencing with a vowel were preceded by
"an".

Has anyone else experienced this annoyance?

Please enlighten me!

Thanks and Regards
Nigel

information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender and delete the transmission. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion
of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Limited unless expressly
stated otherwise.