atw: Re: '24/7' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:02:54 +1000

Of course not! If the '24' stands for '24 hours a day' and the '7' stands
for '7 days a week', then '365.25' ought to stand for '365.25 days a year'.
Makes no sense at all!

In honesty, though, I was making fun of my own pedantic thought processes
and do realise there are times when it's best to ignore them. If '24/7/365'
hadn't been objectionable for other reasons – mainly because it's so
cumbersome, but also because I hate how the slash (sorry, Geoffrey, I mean
the solidus!) is misused – I might have considered it.

I'm not sure if pedantry can ever be assuaged. But you can ignore the
pedantic impulse when you need to. Well, mostly ...

Howard