atw: Re: '24/7' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:31:24 +1000

Howard, just before you go....    there's "open all the time" ?

Peter G Martin
Contract Technical writer
Business Change and Communication Team
Business Information and Management Solutions Group
IP Australia
P  + 61 2 6283 2972   ?   F  + 61 2 6283 7999   ?   E
peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A   47 Bowes Street, Woden ACT 2606   ?   PO Box 200, Woden ACT Australia
2606

Visit us at http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au

From:   Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   22/08/2012 01:08 PM
Subject:        atw: Re: '24/7'
Sent by:        austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to those who made suggestions.

As it's is meant to be a secure network, I think I'd have to avoid the
term 'always open'!

The document is very unlikely to be translated - but, at the risk of
starting up a new debate, I believe in any case that translators are paid
to translate and if they can't find out the meaning of a term that's
obvious to any native speaker, they should look for another job! (Why do
people treat translators so indulgently? No wonder we're willing to settle
for ghastly automated translations, when we expect so little of the humans
paid for the skill.)

I still like 'round-the-clock'. Terry's post sent me checking for
differences between 'round' and 'around'. Fowler's Modern English Usage
comes to the conclusion that most people decide between these words based
on what the author calls 'contextual euphony' (I think he means what
sounds better), except when it means 'approximately' - and that Americans
tend to prefer 'around'. So I can't really see any reason to change to
'around' - I'm not writing for Americans. Others' suggestions were quite
good too - 'uninterrupted' and 'continuous' (but why would you need
both?).

Howard

On 22 August 2012 11:59, Terry Dowling <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi Howard,

I agree that it?s clumsy and forgets the leap year. I?d be inclined to use
?an around-the-clock? rather than ?round? ? but I?d prefer to say
something like ?always open[available?]? or ?24 hours a day, every day of
the year?.

Cheers,
Terry