atw: '24/7'

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:19:48 +1000

A document I'm currently working with refers to "a 24 hour seven days' a
week, 365 days' a year global network environment". Apart from the misuse
of apostrophes and the mixture of singular 'hour' with plural 'days', this
seems a very cumbersome expression for a very clear concept.

I need to refer to this passage in another document I'm writing, and was
tempted to simplify it to 'a 24/7 global network environment' or to 'a
round-the-clock global network environment'. But, after consulting the
Wikipedia article '24/7', I'm wondering if this would be wise. It seems the
term '24/7' has caused some confusion when used in company promotions,
especially over whether it implies availability on holidays. I don't really
want to write '24/7/365' – that's getting cumbersome again, and the pedant
in me keeps wondering 'what about leap years?'. I like 'round-the-clock',
but Wikipedia suggests it's a UK usage.

What do you think?

Howard