atw: Re: OT Howard's year and all that [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:54:16 +1000

Not trying to pick on Howard, but his concerns got me interested in some
byways so I thought I'd share one of the definitions of a year that still
has a few problems, but sounds impressive:

365.25 days in a year where each day consists of  86400 SI seconds, where
each second  has been defined (since 1967) as  the duration of
9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition
between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the Caesium 133
atom.
Sheer poetry.     Ain't the net wonderful ?    Sleep well in these cold
winter nights, Howard....    we're getting closer.
Now.... what to do about the fact that this year there actually was a time
(on June 30) of 23:59:60.....
My head's starting to hurt.
Howard, I think it's catching !

Peter M
--
This message contains privileged and confidential information only
for use by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended