[astcq-discuss] Re: Life Out There?

  • From: "Brian O'Sullivan" <cinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:22:27 +1000

Hi Naomi,

Although I have a degree in Journalism, I have to confess that the level of
grammar required for technical writing simply has to be competant. Keep it
really simple. Keep it short. Keep one idea per sentence, one theme per
paragraph. Oh yeah, did I mention keep it short?

I once shortened 2 A4 pages of technical explanation to 1 sentence. No more
was needed. Not one end user had the slightest idea what the longer version
meant. They suspected it must have been a very complicated feature and
didn't dare ask for clarification for fear of looking stupid!

Structure and clarity are the most important points to remember in my
opinion.

Buy a dictionary. I recently undertook a contract at a past workplace. They
now employ 3 writers. Not one of them had a dictionary at work.

At uni the classic english usage text is "The Elements of Style" by Strunk
and White. This really is the industry standard in journalism. Buy it, claim
it on your tax return and impress your boss all in one go. When anyone
questions your grammar wave the book in their face and mumble incoherently
for a few minutes - that should fix it!

Hmm... I seem to have started ranting a little...

Regards,

Brian O'Sullivan