[astcq-discuss] Grammar courses (Was: Life Out There?)

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:22:05 +0930

Naomi,
I suggest you contact the Society of Editors in Brisbane. Although I'm a
member, I haven't been paying much attention to what they're doing, but
other SoE groups (Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra) run grammar refresher
courses, at reasonable cost.

Another suggestion, if you're good at learning on your own: look in a
newsagent or bookstore for study guides on grammar for high school
students. I'm not sure what's available in Queensland, but I just saw some
of the NSW guides today and that reminded me.

Lastly, there are lots of good (free) grammar courses on the Web, though
they tend to have an American bias in some of the punctuation, which has
subtle (but mostly trivial) differences from Australian punctuation.

Jean

Naomi wrote:
>Jean, regarding courses - part of the reason I went looking for this list
>was to see if I could get help with courses/books suitable for tech
>writing.  In particular, I could really use a solid grounding in English
>grammar.  I have a fair idea of how to construct a relatively
>grammatical sentence, but thanks to the NSW school system
>switching grammar from high school to middle primary as I went
>through my last year of primary school... I know very few of the actual
>rules.  I don't think I can improve much more as a tech writer without
>that grounding. So... any ideas, anyone?  My employer has expressed
>some willingness to help out with costs involved.

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx