[askdba] Re: Seeking Advice.

  • From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:01:01 -0800 (PST)

Vinod,

Courses are good for your knowledge but only thing works good is your
experience in Production env. 90% on the time you will have no time to refer
the manuals. Every mistake has a big cost.

Have a better and good knowledge of the Application, that will be a Plus,
that's the way you can communicate with the Application teamand highlight the
issues in effective manner.

Certification of your environment will be a Plus. Don't get envolved in the
Politics,  DBA can have lot  fun from all the sides,  Application, Management,
Network and operation team, tuff to get the trust of all , but once you have it
in you, you will enjoy every moment,   I can say this after practicing as DBA
over 23 years. (must be correct).

Good Luck.

Nisar Tareen