[askdba] Re: Seeking Advice.

  • From: Subodh Deshpande <subodh_deshpande@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 01:11:40 -0800 (PST)

Nisar, Can not belive and ofcourse surprised with a happiness that we have 23
yr old dba too :)

yes Vinod what Nisar is saying not involve in politics is absolutely true, do
not eantertain any sor of politics at work place.politics and team management
are very very different things, a good managerial skill gives more
opporitunites and empowers and enriches team in a positive way in achiveing
goals. Very badly in todays world, in sugar coated words, politics at work
place is some what nearly equal to 'professional management' or 'skill of
crises of management'. I discourage both the words cause management is always
professional so professional I do not understand and 'crises' a good team
leader is first a good team member and if he/she is good he/she will not allow
any sort of dirty games at the work place and this is why there will not be
crises or disputes.

About the attitudes of dbas many of the dbas reason for not keeping
documentation (list of atleast day today activities of each server) and what
is the problem history or when it was past crash such questions asked they
gives henky fanky answers, where as some of dbas do keep documentation as a
mechanical process with out understanding the need and very rarely you will
find that few could understand the documentation is one of the 'deliverable'
the important measurement of billing, other wise you will not be able to show
customer what exactly the resource was doing at the workplace.

I think these are the few things you should remember apart from the technical
skills you have :)

thanks and take care..subodh