[askdba] Re: Seeking Advice.

  • From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:19:27 -0800 (PST)

I will like to add one thing, what suboudh had said,  he had given very
valuable advices.

Try to make time line like when you start how much the database sizes are and
how much is the growth in indexes what is the respose time and what is the
users expectations are.  Take written aggrement else you will play the handicap
game with users all the time and they will blame you.

But a cost factor  eg.  you want this much response Time than you need this
type of Disk controllers, disk types, Network bandwidth and index

Keep typical queries with you so you can test them your self have some
confident users with you who can help you and guide you, some will be
complaining all the time, some will give you wise advice and feedback work with
them. Be approchable  not like  (Siri  ADP Payroll  DBA Manager for 2006) he is
no more manager work and no one like to talk to hime or work with him, as per
my last info he was there with some other user department so work with your
team and try to make a win win formula.

Subodh,  I started as DBA in 1981 for Software AG. ADABAS Database, than  IBM
SQL/DS dba, from1996 Oracle DBA till 2006 end my career, sick and tired of
certification / contracts Last Certification Oracle 10G. But enjoyed each
minute of my last 33 year of IT years. From IBM 360 to  NT and Unix Servers.  4
continents and 6 countries enough for this JaNaM.

Good LUck

Nisar Tareen