Re: [artworks] UniPrint Printing Problem

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:26:55 +0200

In message <ac14f5d751.signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Nick K <signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <51d7ebe1e4riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Has anyone else seen this error message and what does it mean.

>> When printing an AW file to a PC (XP or Windows 7) via UniPrint 4.03

>> **********************************
>> Error outside ArtWorks 2

>> Filename not recognised (may be caused by trying to use background
>> printing) (print cancelled).
>> **********************************

>> Printing a blank page in EasiWriter and then going back to print the
>> AW file then prints as expected.

> yeah, reported this to Martin years ago
> the error does not appear to happen with any other application

Sorry, but that is a !Printers bug. It only happens when you have not
clicked on a printer icon or printed something since loading !Printers
(which implies that UniPrint is your default printer).

Just clicking on the UniPrint printer icon fixes it.

The fact that it does not happen with other applications is caused by
the fact that ArtWorks still uses the RISC OS 2 printing protocol.
Some other applications (e.g., OvationPro and EasiWriter) use the RISC
OS 3 protocol, but not all of them do. Zap, for instance, uses the
RISC OS 2 protocol, too, and not surprisingly, it shows the same error
message in this situation.

> I generally save out a drawfile into draw and print from there to 'set
> the path'

Yes, that works, but clicking on the printer icon is much easier.