[AR] Re: Electric driven Turbo Pumps

  • From: Dave McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:15:04 -0500

On 12/15/2016 11:01 AM, Thomas McNeill wrote:

For amateurs a much much lower chamber pressure is more likely. There are some good graphs online of Isp vs Chamber pressure and at some point the marginal gains are not worth the engineering time and money spent on a higher pressure pump.

I have been curious about different pumping mechanisms. Instead of a turbo pump what about positive displacement pumps, like gear or lobe? Has there been any attempt at using one of these types of pumps?

I have to admit to being curious why I've never heard of any amateurs trying a variant on XCOR's piston(less) pumps -- those seem like a much lower bar to get over than any kind of turbomachinery. Some subtle difficulty I'm not seeing, there?