[AR] Re: "Direct" Hydrogen Peroxide engines

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:25:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016, David Weinshenker wrote:

...It's a basic consideration in H2O2 cat pack design - for example, screen stacks should have some sort of positive clamping feature, or the expansion of the decomposing propellant will tend to separate them, leading to the escape of unreacted liquid our the sides.

If I've understood correctly, this problem is basically a startup transient. Conceivably you could do something clever (preheat the catpack? start with dilute peroxide? start with a peroxide mist in a carrier gas?) to give a more gradual startup that wouldn't stress the catalyst with a sudden initial burst of gas production. It's somewhat analogous to preconditioning cryo plumbing.