[AR] Re: "Direct" Hydrogen Peroxide engines

  • From: qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:38:30 -0600

Dang I never saw this before, follow that link down the page and you will see the scroll pack motor.
It's real easy to see where we made our mistake in that style of cat pack.

Robert

At 12:29 PM 9/20/2016, you wrote:

Here is a quote from where we got the Idea for the rolled screen. He would not give me much in the way
of details but it doesn't take much imagination to figure out what they were doing. Two major differences
between their motor and our, we were only using 300psi at the injector and theres was a massive
engine driving a car for four seconds whiles ours was 450lbf for 60 seconds. He said his engine
would never last that long.

"A rocket engine of a radial screen catalyst design, rather than the traditional packed disk design, was installed with the ability to produce the equivalent of 8,000 horsepower at about 600 psi inlet pressure with 90% concentration by weight hydrogen peroxide."

http://www.vetechnet.com/rocketcar.htm

Robert

At 01:58 PM 9/16/2016, you wrote:
Ok Pauls random H2O2 CAT thought Â thought....

You start with flat sheets of catalyst material then punch round parts out of them..
stack the round parts...

This is a constant area cross section cat pack.
You can do some optimization by having finer screens at the beginning, but mostly constant area.
The wall area  where you have to put anti channeling rings for a cat pack of area A gets worse asÂ
you go to a smaller cat pack ie 2PiR/pir^2

Now suppose that you build the cat pack as a hollow spool....
The Catpack material is rectangular (no waste) and is wound around the spool...
The as the H2O2 goes from liquid at the center to Gas at the outside the area of the cat pack increases
So one would expect a lower pressure drop. One can increase the length of the tubular section without increasing
 the anti channeling area....Â

Now getting the gas turned around and going in the Correct direction may be hard...

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:13 AM, George William Herbert <<mailto:george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx>george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Tantalum-Tungsten (Ta-W10) is being explored for rifle barrel liners with apparently near zero wear / indefinite lifetime
I don't know how analogous that wear is to peroxide cat beds but it's something to look at...

Sent from my iPhone